On the 3rd of April 2019, Africa University was host to the ZIMCHE National Qualifications Framework (ZNQF) Workshop that is aimed at the training and capacitation of personnel serving in the Higher Education Sector. The objective of the ZNQF is to develop a harmonised and standardised National Qualifications Framework that meets regional and international standards allowing for the seamless transferability of university training and qualifications both locally and between countries.
The ZNQF is a national effort towards integrating education into a unified structure with clear pathways. The framework will facilitate the transfer of credits and free movement of learners between various institutions within or outside Zimbabwe through vertical as well as horizontal progression pathways. Vertical progression will allow recognition of prior learning which eliminates unnecessary repetition and duplication of material familiar to students. Horizontal comparability of education and training qualifications shall align all qualification through the development of minimum bodies of knowledge for all qualifications. (Source: MHTSED.gov)
Dr. Rosemary Maturure, the Jokomo Yamada Librarian welcomed representatives from Manicaland State University of Applied Sciences, Marymount Teachers College as well as representatives from training institutions around Manicaland saying,
“ The work and vision that ZIMCHE is striving to achieve, that of synchronizing and streamlining our methods of training into ones that not only integrate seamlessly with those being utilized in our region, but also give our students the flexibility to cross boundaries and contribute to building our region, is one that we are steadfastly behind as a university as we actively pursue the attainment of Vision 2063 and a fully industrialized, empowered and transformed continent. This objective of cross sectoral and national education feeds into Africa University’s core purpose which is to create leaders for Africa who are able to apply their skills and training in a variety of contexts and spheres. It is indeed a distinct honour and privilege to have been selected as one of the institutions that will serve as a training ground for this most noble purpose.”
Mr. Jonathan Gandari, the Manager of Marketing and Public Relations at ZIMCHE spoke of the importance of the training,
“The ZNQF is a process that was begun with ZIMCATS which was the Zimbabwe Credit Accumulation and Transfer System which was a basis for the transition to the Notional Credit System that brought into play a synchronized and transferrable system through which students accumulated training hours. This was followed by the Minimum Bodies of Knowledge that benchmarked the most basic content, skills and competencies that those who have gone through a particular programme should have. 80 percent would be comprised of this Minimum Body of Knowledge with the remaining 20 percent being determined by the training institution. We are “taming the jungle” if you will to ensure that educational institutions in Zimbabwe adhere to set national and regional standards.”
The initiative that is being spearheaded by ZIMCHE aligns itself perfectly with the Pan- African identity and ethos of Africa University where a vibrant, unified and efficient educational landscape that facilitates the sustainable growth of the sector in a manner that safeguards quality and constant reinvention to stay in line with continental and global trends and needs is guaranteed.
ZIMCHE was created through an act of parliament Chapter 25:27 which was promulgated in 2006. The act establishes ZIMCHE and the procedures for the registration and accreditation of institutions of higher education. The mandate of ZIMCHE is to promote and co-ordinate education provided by institutions of higher education and to act as a regulator in the determination and maintenance of standards of teaching, examinations, academic qualifications and research in institutions of higher education.